Venice: Campo S. Maurizio, [@1880]. Carlo Naya. Photographs. A total of 12 large hand-colored albumen photographs, measuring 14" x 10-1/2" mounted on 25" x 19" stiff paper and housed in a paper folder printed and decorated in black. Each photograph is meticulously hand-colored and all but one captioned in ink in the lower left corner. Included are Piazza San Marco (numbered 48 in the negative), Palazzo D'Oro, Canal Grande Ponte Di Rialto, San Giorgio Maggiore, Foscari Palazzo Giustinian Canal Grande (numbered 252 in the negative), Rio della Guerra (numbered 105 in the negative), Riva degli Schiavoni (numbered 93 in the negative), Ponte Dei Sospiri [Bridge of Sighs] (numbered 9 in the negative), Tintoretto's Il Paradiso in the Palazzo Ducale, Interior of the Basilica San Marco (numbered 131 in the negative), Mosaics in Basilica San Marco (numbered 57 in the negative), and Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute (not captioned). A bit of light soiling to the mats; the paper holder a bit soiled and worn. The images are bright and Fine. Item #019050
Having previously had a daguerreotype studio in Eastern Europe, Carlo Naya opened a photography studio in Venice in 1857 and quickly became known for his photos of the city and its architecture. He collaborated with other photographers to produce an album of views of Venice in 1866 when the Venetian Republic was annexed to Italy. He died in Venice in 1882, but his works continued to be sold after his death from a shop in St. Marks Square, and his studio continued to operate in Campo S. Maurizio, Venice.